Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Do You Want To Build a Snowman?

Grandma, Grandpa, and Aunt Marty ... this one's for you!

Today, surprisingly, ended up being a snow day for the little man, so he was added to our plans at the last minute.  Since we didn't have very intricate plans, this was very easy to do and he fell right into our stay-in-for-the-morning-then-go-to-Oma's-house routine.  What did NOT fit into our plans well was the township snow plow coming through and messing up the end of our driveway.  Thinking/hoping it wasn't as bad as it looked, we piled into the car and I made an attempt to gun it out of the driveway (when I knew traffic was clear, of course).  Much to my chagrin, it turns out that the snow pile was actually much worse than it looked, and the kids and I got stuck right on top of it in our beleaguered minivan.  *sigh*

As luck would have it, though, we have some most amazing neighbors who, without even asking, came over and just started to help me dig us out.  It took a lot of tries and a couple of my neighbor's car mats ... and his teenage stepson ... but they dug and pushed me out of the mess I got us into, and I cannot even tell you how grateful I am that they were there and helped me so willingly.  It's so great to know that there are such good people living nearby.

After we finally made it over to my mom's house and got some lunch, Mollie, Mom, and I went out to rake their roof and shovel their sidewalk, and then Baylor joined us to build this season's first snowman!  




We didn't have a hat handy, so our snowman was sporting some awesome grass hair.  And his eyes, carrot nose, pipe, scarf, and purple buttons came from none other than GG!  She gave them to Mollie for Christmas, and ever since Mollie has been chomping at the bit to use them.  We really couldn't have timed it more perfectly either; all winter the snow has been too light and fluffy for packing into a snowman, then we did this right after lunch, and by dinner time our poor snowman was slumped over, taken down by the increasing temperature.

He was certainly adorable while he lasted!

After we built our snowman, we hurried to the front yard to make a "skeleton" track to sled down.  It took a lot of effort ... and so much snow in my boot ... and he barely used it, but it was neat to try something new.

As sick as I am of this winter, something that has never really happened to me before, I was happy to get to spend time playing in the snow with my kids and mom today, and it almost made up for the mess of a morning we had.

Okay, okay, it did.  But I am still done with all this snow.  Done, I tell you!

No comments: