Tuesday, March 23, 2010

For Those of You Who Don't Know ...

I had a baby girl yesterday! Her name is Amalia (pronounced "Ah-MAH-lee-ya") Jean, and she weighed in at 7 lbs. 4 oz. and measured 20.5 inches long. Quite the peanut compared to my 10 lbs. 10 oz. boy!

Here she is!




I had actually woken up at around 4:30 to use the bathroom and I was so incredibly hungry I thought to myself, "Whatever you do, just don't have the baby today ... you have GOT to eat something!"

Ah, the irony!

My water broke, as I previously mentioned, at around 5:00 a.m. That was a fun, messy surprise! We quickly got ready and my in-laws made the three-door trek to our house to be there should Baylor wake up.

I thought I had been contracting, but I wasn't sure if it was a dream or not, so I didn't bother to time them. As it turns out, by the time we got in the car they were three to four minutes apart, but they weren't hugely strong or long-lasting. At the hospital, we found out I was only 3 cm dilated and 50% effaced.

I know this is going to sound weird, but I was so excited that I got to experience labor at least a little bit. Yeah, the water breaking and leaking with every contraction was gross and the contractions weren't fun, but I so wanted to know what labor felt like and it was thrilling to have a little unexpectedness at the end of our pregnancy!

By 7:30 I was back in the operating room getting my spinal block, which went miles better than it did last time, and after a quick bout of nausea I started feeling pretty calm. Bryson came in and settled down next to me with the video camera. They actually let him film her being born, so I'm hoping to put that up here at some point. It's pretty graphic, lots of blood, but it's also kind of amazing.

Anyhow, Bryson got to announce that she's a girl and we quickly found out her weight. I have to say, I was more shocked by her weight than I was that she was a girl. I have never held a baby that small! She's just so tiny!

After the surgery was over and I was all sewn up, they took me back to triage to recover and her to the nursery to get cleaned up and checked out. Recovery for this c-section went so much better than the last one; I didn't have nearly as much nausea or sleepiness, and I actually remember most - if not all - of the day! Oh, and I only threw up once after I drank some grape juice too fast, so that was a vast improvement over last time.

Baylor got to come to the hospital to meet his little sister, but he was much more interested in all the electronic gadgetry in the room than he was in a sleepy little baby. I cried a lot when they left for the night, more for my sake than his ... I knew he was in good hands and would be well-cared for; I was just going to miss him intensely. And I did. But, I have my little girl to look out for now, too. So at least I had a little distraction to keep me from missing him to the point where I couldn't function.

Amalia and I had a decent number of good feedings yesterday, but she has since grown very sleepy and reluctant to wake up to eat. We'll get the hang of it eventually.

Anyhow, I guess that's all for right now. There will be many more pictures and stories to come, I'm sure. Thanks for all the well-wishes!

Have a wonderful day!

5 comments:

Doug said...

Congratulations again Nicole! I'm so glad to hear things went reasonably well with everything. Especially when you compare it to your experience from last time. Hopefully we'll get to come meet her sometime soon.

rachel said...

Nicole...I am so happy for you! I was really hoping you would have a girl! Think of all the fun we had being little girls in the same neighborhood! Love her name too! Congratulations!

Shan said...

Nicole! She is BEAUTIFUL! Congrats again!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! What a blessing. Take it easy and all the best.

Amber said...

She's beautiful!! XO